Thursday, January 12, 2012

ALCATRAZ Premiere on Alcatraz: The Recap!



Last night I was honored and thrilled to attend the official premiere of ALCATRAZ on Alcatraz itself! It was an incredible experience from start to finish, thanks to combined efforts of the amazing publicists and producers from Bad Robot, FOX and Warner Brothers. 


The cast and crew in attendance included: 

  • Jonny Coyne (Warden James)
  • Joe Egender (Ernest Cobb)
  • Robert Forster (Ray Archer)
  • Jorge Garcia (Diego "Doc" Soto)
  • Jason Butler Harner (Deputy Warden Tiller)
  • Sarah Jones (Detective Rebecca Madsen)
  • Parminder Nagra (Lucy Banerjee)
  • Sam Neill (Emerson Hauser)
  • Jeffrey Pierce (Jack Sylvane)


  • Jack Bender: Director/Executive Producer
  • Bryan Burke: Executive Producer
  • Danny Cannon: Director
  • Andrea Datzman & Michael Giacchino: Series Composers
  • Leigh Dana Jackson: Writer
  • Jennifer Johnson & Daniel Pyne: Executive Producers
  • Steven Lilien & Bryan Wyndbrandt: Co-creators/Executive Producers/Writers
  • Noreen O'Toole: Associate Producer

Over the years I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to interview and get to know the actors and creative teams from various shows, and I am very happy to report that everyone involved with ALCATRAZ is tremendously kind and sincere. Believe me - that is not always the case! But the people both in front of the camera and behind the scenes of this series are quite talented and very fan-friendly.


Click here to watch the video that FOX put together from their footage of the evening. And yes, at around the 1 minute mark - you'll catch a brief glimpse of me with Sarah Jones!


Below are a few of my photos from the premiere, in chronological order. 


Approaching Alcatraz. It was surreal and a quite treat to have taken the ferry to the Rock with the cast and crew. Standing out on the front of the boat for most of the ride with Jorge, Jeffrey, Robert and the writers was a true highlight.


The press line was set up in the Alcatraz prison showers! 


The cast and crew in the Alcatraz Mess Hall. This was the very first time I'd met Jack Bender, even though we'd been at many of the same events during the years I covered LOST. I'd met Jason at SDCC last summer and really enjoyed chatting with Jonny and Sam last night as well!


Watching the premiere of ALCATRAZ, on Alcatraz, for Inside Alcatraz...it does not get any more meta than that! It was particularly creepy and goose bump-inducing to watch scenes from the Pilot episode that were filmed in the very location where we were seated.

With Sarah Jones, who is as sweet and beautiful as she looks! I *might* have geeked out a bit when we chatted, as I'd just marathoned through the first 4 seasons of Sons of Anarchy (she appeared on the show and her boyfriend Theo Rossi is a series regular).


They were taking our mugshots. I might have to make this my new avatar.


---
If you're new to this site (and me in general), I recently posted a few paragraphs about what to expect here once ALCATRAZ finally debuts. Because I have already seen both the Pilot and second episode ("Ernest Cobb"), I actually have time to write up my notes rather than stay up all night doing so (thank you, FOX!). My first ALCATRAZ Thoughts & Theories article will be posted here at 10pm PST on Monday, January 16, after the premiere has aired on the West Coast (apologies to my friends in Hawaii - click and read at your own risk!). I really look forward to your comments and feedback.


As always, you can find the latest ALCATRAZ news and updates on Twitter (@insidealcatraz), as well as my other pop culture ramblings (@jopinionated). I'll see you back here after the premiere on Monday night!

5 comments:

maven said...

Great recap, Jo, of your Alcatraz experience. Would have loved hearing you "chat" with all those people...I would have been tongue-tied! Did you hear any news about a possible viral campaign?

Looking forward to Monday night and your Thoughts & Theories!

~Karen~ said...

Thank you so much for sharing the events of your special night. We lived vicariously through you! I am so happy that you and Lisa got to be there!
I'm looking forward to the show (it seems like it will be right up my alley), and I look forward to your posts.

tobordab said...

Your mugshot is AWESOME!

Leco Leite said...

Amazing experience!!!

TiminCA said...

Well I have just read your Alcatraz blog and this one about the premier party and I like your coverage, thanks for putting these together.
I wish I would have known about your blog when Lost was still on as I bet you had awesome insights to that show.
Keep up the great work and looking forward to your next blog almost more than the next episode.
:)